HOW TO HANDLE FEELING OVERWHELMED AND UNMOTIVATED

 

 

 claudia wanjiru

 


 I don’t know if it’s COVID-19, hormones, or maybe the stars, but I feel like I’m going through a “mid-life” crisis—if there is such a thing at 24. Currently, I’m back in my hometown, living with my parents, unemployed, and contemplating a career change during a pandemic. Most days, I’m fine but then there are many days where I feel like WTF. I’m generally a confident focused on my career path, well-put-together person, but this pandemic has enlivened me in some ways and caused me to feel deeply fraustrated. I’m unemployed, uninsured, and unsure about which direction my life is going since my degree is incomplete. Some days my anxiety overwhelms me, and I spiral into an emotional, irrational frenzy. Typically, this frenzy leaves me feeling unproductive and unmotivated. 

It’s so easy to see all that is wrong instead everything that is going right. This time off work has allowed me to strengthen relationships, return to my creativity and think outside the box, destress, and honestly examine if my current career is something I really want to do. I’m learning to trust the process and recognizing these moments of uncertainty will become clear as I continue on my journey. In the five months I’ve been out of school, I’ve learned how to better handle my stress by doing a few things to bring me back to center and get my head out of the clouds. 

Before coming to terms with any I had to go through lots of blogs,podcasts and videos.

 

1. I allow myself to feel my feelings.

I don’t focus on trying to make myself feel better. I sit with my feelings, whether positive or negative, and examine where those feelings come from. Are these feelings rooted in reality, or have I allowed my imagination to get the best of me? What are realistic, healthy ways to move myself from a negative to a positive space, in a healthy way, while still affirming the validity of sadder emotions? I do a lot of this emotional processing through some mantra,music and journaling.I saw from a movie how mantras help and decided to try it out and boy it does help a lot.Listening to music has been my all time therapy and has been working out.I always have lots of feelings at times mantras and music don’t help out and I opt to journaling. I love to write my feelings out. Journaling allows me to fully express myself while simultaneously documenting the moment. I usually journal when I’m feeling especially frustrated, angry, or sad. Journaling helps me identify my emotions and process them. I just sit there with my journal and write. Sometimes I write for five minutes. Sometimes I write for a couple of hours. However long, I don’t stop until I’m “done.” Journaling helps me chart my progress. I can always look back to see how far I’ve come or where I’m stagnant. 

 

2. I surround myself with people who support me.

My family and friends are the best. Since being in this weird space, none of them have ever made me feel low because I’m not working. They fully support me in my creative endeavors and are glad to see me operate with some passion. They uplift and affirm me when I’m feeling down, and hey help me pull myself out of overwhelmed places by reminding me I am accomplished and capable. I live with my family now(obviously since I haven’t graduated yet), so it makes it easier to access them. Some of my friends are available through text and calls. I make sure to connect in any way possible. I also make sure to be honest with them about my feelings, fears, or issues. In order to be supported in the way I need, I feel I have to be honest with them about my highs, as well as my lows. They’ve seen me through everything.

 

3. I rest.

For many, rest is a radical concept. I don’t know about you, but I always feel such an internal pressure to be productive. Honestly, I feel guilty for resting because there is always more to be done. With so many things unchecked on my to-do list, I feel like I don’t deserve rest, but I’m learning rest is necessary and well-deserved. When I need rest, I force myself to take it. I create and enforce a boundary with myself by declaring the day as a non-work day. I’ve been a student, blogger, content creator and worked some promotional jobs late at night. I’ve done a lot of hard work, loved on a lot of people, and I deserve this time just for me. For all the mental, emotional, and physical labor I have done, I deserve to rejuvenate. Rest feels foreign, but that in and of itself is problematic.

I take off the pressure of productivity by finally allowing myself the space and time I need to relax knowing it’s for my good. I’ve forced myself to be productive when I was burned out and exhausted, and my work suffered because of it. Resting allows me to take a break, then come back happier, clearer, and generally more excited. Some days rest looks like being a couch potato while other days it looks like a fun day out with friends. Rest looks different for each of us, but as long as you’re rejuvenated afterward that’s all that matters. 

 

4. I have fun.

Yes, we’re in a pandemic, and “outside” is sort of closed, but that doesn’t mean life has to be boring. When I’m feeling overwhelmed, that means I’m off balance. I try to find things that will bring me some sense of joy. It could be something as simple as potting new plants, doing some sort of arts and crafts, or dancing to a bomb playlist. This will be different for each person, but the point is to do something that brings you joy. Do something that, even if for the moment, shifts the atmosphere and likely your attitude right along with it. Do something that is not a chore. 

 

5. I sought professional help

I don’t know how it feels like visiting a shrink but from my little research I hear its pretty helpful.Dont be embarrassed about seeking a professional help.Therapy can help you reframe some  ideologies and shift  paradigm into a much healthier space. This could be  helpful when it comes to feeling overwhelmed and unmotivated. Therapy can help you realize you’ve been in uncertain times before, and you prevailed then just as you will now.

 


Comments

Unknown said…
Hapo kwa fun sugar🤗🤗😋
Claudia said…
😂😂😂😂

Popular Posts